The painting „Das gesprengte Turm des Heidelberger Schlosses” came into existence around 1830, at the time of the period of romanticism. The picture represents the blown up tower of the Heidelberg Castle.
The tower was built in 1490, but it was busted in 1693 while the War of the Palatinate Succession. The painting had been done by Carl Eduard Ferdinand Blechen, the landscape artist and professor of landscape painting at the Academy of Arts of Berlin. It had probably come into being during or after his frequent travels which he did in search of inspiration and painting objects.